Milo the mangy mutt messed up by mongrels

mangy Milo looks sad and lethargic in a corner

Last Updated on June 7, 2023 by Ellen

A couple months ago in a blog post here, I wrote about Milo the mangy street dog I had ‘semi-adopted’ here in Malay, Aklan,
Panay, Philippines — where we are waiting for a COVID resolution.

Actually, another visitor and friend, Jerry, from Wales U.K. is the primary adopted owner. On the day I first met Jerry, Milo approached us – in a terrible physical state – and we agreed to do something to help her.

In following days, she was seen by a veterinarian, given medications, collared, cared for and fed, welcomed and made comfortable around Jerry’s beachfront property.

As a result, in following weeks, her awful case of mange improved, she gained weight, her demeanor became pleasant – even playful, and she started acting like a guard dog for Jerry.

Then it happened.

Messed up by mongrels

One day, as Jerry and I enjoyed sunset beers on his terrace, Milo was repeatedly violated by a group of male dogs on the beach. Jerry and I did try to defend her honor and chase them off – but to no avail. And alarmingly, Milo was a willing participant. Nature took its course. ‘Twas an unsettling scene.

Fast forward a few weeks; Jerry noticed Milo seemed sluggish. She wasn’t eating much. Beach walks, visitors, and other dogs no longer peaked her interest. And her fur, which had filled-in some, became much much thinner. She looked pink and pale and sad – again.

Last week, we noticed a disturbing swelling in the area of her ‘female parts’. This week some bleeding there. And Milo was even more lethargic. Her breathing shallow and rapid. Jerry said he feared she might not survive. We summoned the vet again. Milo remained stable.

Milo is registered with the local Malay municipality. For the $6 fee she is entitled to free shots and checks and even vet house calls. We waited a couple anxious days; the busy veterinarian finally stopped by.

After a cursory exam, she explained, in broken English, it appeared Milo was suffering from infection/disease likely transmitted by the gang of canine beach suitors. Basically, she was diagnosed with VD – venereal disease, doggy style.

To follow up, the vet invited us to bring Milo to her office at the municipal center the following morning. She would try to clean the swollen parts and take a tissue sample for testing. Many thanks to the doctor. We appreciated her time and care and English.

Trip to the vet

So a couple days ago, we loaded Milo into a tricycle taxi (motorcycle with sidecar) and made the trip to the appointment. Milo was hesitant at every step – but she did seem to enjoy the breezy ride to the first ‘developing-world-vet-visit’ I’ve ever been involved in.

Once at the town center, we found not a animal clinic of any kind – just the vet’s office, squeezed with others into a small cluttered building. The exam and treatment would take place outside on the main village plaza. The roof of the municipal stage was helpful as a light rain began to fall.

A rickety old wooden folding table with an advertising tarp stapled atop was brought out and set up. Milo was weighed with a bathroom scale. The vet and two assistants brought some supplies, latex gloves, syringes, medicines from across the street.

As Jerry held Milo tightly, and I distracted her while taking photos, the exam, cleaning, and sampling was done. Milo wiggled, whimpered, and bled a little. A few bystanders, also sheltering from the drizzle, observed Milo’s poking and prodding. In a few minutes it was over. The canine VD diagnosis confirmed.


With soothing praise we loaded Milo back into the taxi trike and took her home. Later we filled two prescriptions at a pharmacy. Total cost thus far – 235 Pesos (about $4.75). However, it appears the exact medication to truly treat the VD is not available locally. The vet is exploring the ways we might find, pay for, and ship the needed pharmaceutical to our location. COVID limitations are a factor.

Milo has now been resting and taking antibiotics for 48 hours. She remains very sedate, sad-eyed, and pink, but looks to be comfortable. She’s eaten lightly. Her tail wagged tonight.

It remains to be seen how this saga will play out. I know I won’t ever forget the experience thus far. And hopefully, the vet will soon bring news of how to attain the medicine Milo really needs.

In the meantime, Jerry and I will enjoy her sleepy company as we enjoy our sunset beach beers. Further, we are ready to viciously dispatch any other filthy mongrel who dares even look at Milo, our mellow mangy mutt.

As always, be thankful and generous, happy trails & more beer.

Life is NOW!

Thanks for reading, “Milo the mangy mutt messed up by mongrels.”

1 thought on “Milo the mangy mutt messed up by mongrels”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top