We started our world tour in 2015 and have not stopped. We’re a bit surprised at how long this list of travel destinations has grown – time flies!
Often we are asked, ‘Where’s your favorite place?’ We never know how to answer that; we crave variety and still have many countries to visit.
That said, we aren’t “country counters.” We like to go slow, one country at a time. As a friend of ours says, the faster you go, the less you see.
Click on a country in our table of contents to see the list of cities and towns and villages where we’ve been. Use the search field at the end of a country’s list to find blog posts about these travel destinations. This website has hundreds of entries.
- Mahahual (Chetumal, Xcalak)
- Tulum (Playa del Carmen and Cancun)
- Sabancuay (Ciudad del Carmen)
- Puerto Vallarta
- Puerto Angel (Zipolite and Mazunte)
- Puerto Escondido
- Mexico City
- Rosarito Beach
- San Cristobal de las Casas
- Tuxtla Gutierrez
- Oaxaca City
- La Paz
- Cabo San Lucas
- San Ignacio, Cayo District
- Caye Caulker
- Ambergris Caye
- El Remate (Isla de Flores, Santa Elena)
- Guatemala City
- San Pablo, Lake Atitlan (Tzuzuna, Panajachel, San Marcos, San Juan)
- San Pedro, Lake Atitlan
- Acatenango Volcano
Europe & UK
- Lisbon (Sintra)
- Porto (Gaia across the river)
- Lerici (La Spezia, Tellaro)
- Cinque Terre (Monterosso al Mare, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola, and Riomaggiore)
- Florence (Siena, Gimignano, Pisa)
- Venice (Burano, Murano, Torcello)
- Barcelona (Figueres, Girona, Tarragona, Montserrat)
- Tarifa & Algeciras
- Omis (Supetar and Splitska)
Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Kotor (Dobrota, Perast, Orahovac, Jaz Beach, Budva)
- Saranda (Butrint)
- Rio & Patras
- Lefkada Island (Nidri, Kathisma Beach)
- Corfu Island (almost every place on the island – 10 villages minimum)
- Erg Chigaga (*Sahara desert*)
- Cameron Highlands
- Penang: George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
- Kuala Lumpur
- Melaka (Malacca City)
- Lan Ha Bay
- Cat Ba
- Ninh Binh
- Phong Nha
- Dong Ha (Cam Lo and Khe Sanh)
- Danang (Ba Na Hills)
- Hoi An (An Bang)
- Nha Trang
- Can Tho/Mekong Delta
- Cu Chi
- Ho Chi Minh City
- Chiang Mai
- Krabi (Klong Muang, Ao Nang)
- Hua Hin
- Phnom Penh
- Siem Reap
- Katu, Semanyak, Legian
- Labuan Bajo
- Komodo National Park
- Nusa Penida
- Cebu City
Before these travel destinations…
Still here? Thanks for running down our long list!
Before these travel destinations in early retirement, we also visited Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and Panama on vacations from work.
In fact, those vacations showed us this low-cost travel lifestyle was possible. We considered those trips successful short “test runs.”
We also kept track of our expenses during those glorious vacations to see exactly what it would cost to live like a long-term traveler instead of a short-term tourist.
We hardly ever stayed in big resort compounds. Where’s the adventure in that?!
Want to retire early and travel the world?
Read how we did it.